Friday, January 25, 2013

A Trans-Siberian Dream

Being the self-professed lover of all forms of music as myself (except techno, as I always readily add), I figure it does strike an odd chord when I confess that I haven't been to too many musical concerts. Even with the dozen philharmonic concerts I've attended at the Dewan Filharmonik Petronas in KLCC it still amounts to an embarrassingly meager total. The truth is if many of these concerts weren't priced so exorbitantly as they tend to be I'd have definitely bore witness to more of them. It's not so much the price for me - it's rather the unfathomable idea that live music can only be enjoyed by those who can really afford it. I guess you can consider it a bit of a stand of principle on my part (not that I am in any shortage of such stands. Heh). If it really is worth it, sure; but how many of those wannabe acts out there today really are?

Having said that, there are a select few acts that I'm more than willing to fork out something of a fortune for, and one of them is Trans Siberian Orchestra. I was incredibly close to catching them live in Chicago during my final few months in the US, but alas I dawdled for too long and those precious tickets were gone, eviscerated into the arms of fellow fans. Nevertheless, I take comfort in the fact that the band tours annually around the US; and that catching them live is a certain feature on my bucket list (not that there is a physical manifestation of it.. yet).

Now I'm certainly not one of those who cringe at the thought of reinterpreting classical pieces including the works of Mozart and Beethoven in electric rock; in fact, I admire the audacity and marvel at the product. I'd implore anyone who is open to such reinterpretations to give it a try by listening to them online, and perhaps be blown away like me. And if you are blown away, then try and imagine the same in a live setting. A symphony of lights, pyrokinetics and music - just watching bits of concert footage on Youtube makes me salivate.

Someday...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

i like how u kept the sex positions stuff on the right lhol ;)

Kuhan said...

Kisama.. there. All clean now haha.