Sunday, August 18, 2013

Ashan

A good three months have now gone by. Yet I still struggle to come to terms with your passing.

You brought much happiness to those around you; you gave so much of yourself to bring warmth to us all. Perhaps you gave too much. As you shuffled off this mortal coil, I lied against the wall - half in contempt, half in contemplation. "Why you?" "Why now?"

Many a friend I have come to meet and know over the course of my life.. but none were like you; none will be. You truly were a gem of a friend.. Looking back, I can only see how blessed I have been to have crossed paths with you, let alone be a close friend of yours. Perhaps it is selfish of me to want your wonderful friendship for the rest of my life.

Above everything.. to me; you were the epitome of a selfless man. There have been times when I have questioned my own sacrifices in life, few as they may be; but each time I only had to think of you, and those questions disappeared.

Thank you. For putting a smile on our faces on the rainiest of days. For being the wonderful listener who does not judge. For being there for me no matter what. For showing me what true friendship really means. For.. everything.

You will live on, Ashan Ratnapala - in our musings and memories.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thank u for taking time to write about Ashan. indeed he was everything to his mum dad and friends.