Monday, January 5, 2015

2014 - Lasting Impressions

A year that went by very quickly.. The biggest highlight of the year has to be the 'Promised Trip' to Japan with Julian and Kwong Hann - something that we were planning for more than 3 years before all the conditions were met - or as they would say "the stars aligned perfectly" for it to finally happen. Then there were the big days for a number of my long-time friends, when they finally tied the knot in holy matrimony; congatulations Hoong Kit and Benjamin. I am honored to have been part of your wonderful ceremonies. My colleague Joon Li also officially tied-the-knot, although the ceremony that social norms deem is only expected sometime in 2015. Not to forget James Lee's maiden visitation to Malaysia, my first marathon and the increased number of outings with colleagues. Of course on the downside there were the multiple major aircraft incidents that hit our nation, along with the end-year monsoons that have flooded the east coast of Peninsular Malaysia. The drop in global oil prices that has spun the oil and gas industry into a declining spiral deserves a mention, but I cannot classify it as a disaster for I simply see it as a phase that just had to occur.

I guess it's time to chisel away the memories of 2014 into the annals of this blog.. with a handful of images that I felt best encapsulated the memorable moments of the year in my life.

My year at work began with my move to Aker's new office at The Intermark
Met up with Wai Kit (soon to be Dr. Ong) during his short trip back home
James Lee visits KL
My colleagues surprised me at the office with a cake-full of strawberries for my birthday
Paid a visit to the Meiji Shrine on a wet afternoon in Tokyo
Watched a snow-capped Mount Fuji in all its glory from Fuji-Q Highlands.
Went up Tokyo's brand new attraction - Skytree
Walked through the Bamboo Forest in Arashiyama
Walked through the Philosopher's Path in Kyoto
Easily the most important components in my maiden trip to Japan - Tan Kwong Hann and Julian Tan
Visited Osaka Castle
A poignant moment that brought an end to our time in Japan
The loot from the Japan was satisfactory, to say the least
Celebrated Janice's birthday at Neway in One Utama
Scaled Gunung Dato' in Negeri Sembilan with a few adventurous colleagues
My first bottle of Angostura Bitters - Takes our cocktail nights to a whole new dimension
Took a trip to Singapore with my cousin Karun and her friend Swathi
Attended Joon Li's housewarming party
Spent a night concocting a variety of cocktails at Alvin's place
Attended Myra's Raya Open House - another of those things that's becoming an annual tradition
Hanging out with my fellow process engineers at Empire Shopping Mall after Myra's open house
Macarons courtesy of Janice Koh
There was a lot more ping-pong this year; this being one of the random sessions at Ison's place
Fine dining at Sunway College's student-restaurant with TJ - Starter - Salmon with graprefruit salad
The main - Chicken casserole with pommes noisette.. 
Dessert - Chocolate torte with strawberry sauce and vanilla ice-cream
The LEGO Sears Tower finally came out of the box - one of the few things I preserved in mint condition from my days in the US
Took a trip to Sungai Chiling with the colleagues 
A soul I've really grown fond of this year - Bhairav
With my buddy Janice at this year's Family Day dinner in Melaka (the theme was Traffic Light, and that's Nooshin photobombing us lol)
Organized Aker's Family Day again with the Sports Club; really enjoyed the expreience this time round with these guys - Steve, Ali and Azri
Checked out Intermark's new Red Lobster with Harry - Lobster Pizza 
Ran my first marathon - Just had to be the KL Marathon.
Post 42.195km; Pre 'debilitating leg cramps' and 'turtle walks'
Took a morning dip with colleagues at Sungai Tua
Breakfast at Mc Donald's after this year's Terry Fox Run KL.. becoming a bit of a tradition now
Attended Hubert's and Liu Ying's graduation at UPM Serdang
Spent more than a month putting together Ben's wedding gift with Sui-Jon. Totally worth it :)
Cinnamon: Sui-Jon and Miss Shanti at Ben's wedding dinner @ Ciao Ristorante
A rather random trip with colleagues to Kuala Selangor/Sekinchan 
Got free tickets to watch the Alzheimer's Disease Foundation's charity concert in KLCC courtesy of Irene Ho
From the perimeters of the telecommunications tower on Bukit Gasing, Petaling Jaya 
A little something I put together for my colleague Amy 
A little something my buddy Janice Koh put together for me for Christmas
The wonderful little goodies acquired over the course of the year..
Joined the company's annual treasure hunt at the National Zoo - Team Thunderpaws! (Oh and we nailed the top prize again heh)
Finally managed a visit to the Bukit Nanas Forest Reserve
Came across an unexpectedly spectacular view of the Dang Wangi LRT station from the Bukit Nanas trail
Attended Christmas/Rooney's birthday party in Kepong. A nice shot with Rusty the loving Australian Terrier
Yet another year shuffles away into the realms of the past, toward the gates of distant memory. The juncture I stand upon though, is an interesting one - for I cannot foresee much into the coming year, bar a January trip to Hyderabad and Chennai. Take me, o' winds of time; guide me to the path that is meant for me; for I seek not to stray from destiny.

No comments: