Saturday, January 3, 2015

Myanmar Trip 2013 - Day Eight

I woke up on the eighth morning of the trip, to some rather mixed feelings. The plaguing effects of the Moulmein toddy was all but a memory by now, but so were my pleasant experiences in Myanmar. It was our last day in Myanmar, and we were to depart Yangon at noon. Khan Ruey and I were up early that morning, and we headed north toward a couple more of Yangon's famed pagodas that house impressive buddha statues. We began with the Chaukhtatgyi Paya, where a giant reclining Buddha lies. It is said to be one of the most impressive reclining Buddhas in Myanmar, and I must add here that although the one we have in Penang is bigger, I was impressed by the intricate inscriptions and ornamental arrangements on the statue.

The reclining Buddha at Chauktatgyi Paya

Inscriptions on the Buddha's feet

We soon walked across the street to Ngahtatgyi Paya to visit the sitting Buddha which has also received its fair share of adulation across travel guides and magazines. This temple however levies a $2 entrance fee, which we did find slightly expensive in comparison given the size and quality of attractions within the paya. With the temple tour drawing to a close, all that was left was a bit of last-minute souvenir shopping, packing and checking-out of our hotels in downtown Yangon. We rendezvoused once again with Ben and Vanessa for lunch, before cabbing to the airport for our flights back to KL.

The calm, seated image of Buddha at Ngahtatgyi Paya

Before the trip, when I was applying for my leave at work, my lead engineer inquired on my vacation plans. When I mentioned to him I was going to be spending 8 days in southern Myanmar, he was appalled and spewed forth a rhetorical "why." On my flight back to KL I was certain of one thing - 8 days is not sufficient to see and explore the wonderful cities of Yangon, Moulmein and Hpa-an, let alone southern Myanmar as a whole. We had barely scratched the surface in exploring these cities, and I couldn't imagine getting tired of the place; especially the more rural Hpa-an where I'd love to have rented a bike and cycle across the surrounding villages and paddy fields and perhaps embarked on a few more hikes up its scenic mountains and hills. Our lack of time in the region also meant we had to forego the option to climb up Mt. Kyaiktyo to view the spectacular Golden Rock.

If I am blessed with such luxury in this lifetime, I'd travel back to these cities some day. Till then, these Burmese memories shall remain, sweeter than their sugar-laden drinks and desserts.

No comments: